May 12, 2014

Weekend Update

I love a good relaxing weekend as much as the next person, but lately I've been itching for some activity. I forget how refreshed I can feel just by doing slightly more than lounging around all Saturday in my pjs (not that there's anything wrong with that...no judgement here folks).

One of my best friends invited me to a women's brunch at church on Saturday and it was even lovelier than I expected. There was a guest speaker/singer named Tajci Cameron and if you haven't heard of her before, she has a pretty incredible story. She was born in Croatia, became a pop superstar by 19, questioned what she had to live for if she already had it all, became drawn back towards Catholicism, and left her life of unhappiness and fame to pursue a music career more aligned with her beliefs. She just started a weekly web series a few months ago that I cant wait to watch! You'll love her too, I promise.
 After a quick nap (because pregnant) I made the trek up to north Texas to surprise my mom for Mother's Day! It's a lot harder to live just a few hours away from her than I ever thought it would be. She's the best listener and advice giver in the world and I was so happy I could come visit for a few days. Even though it was Mother's Day Eve, I guess it was also Pregnant Daughter's Day because as soon as I mentioned I was craving pizza for dinner, off we went even though they had already eaten. And ice cream? Okay, we can do that too! I'm thinking this "it's our only child's first baby and she's so delicate right now!" thing is a once in a lifetime kind of opportunity and I'm okay with enjoying it while I can ;)

There's just something about coming to my parents' home that helps me feel renewed. Does anyone else feel like that when they go home? I always mean to clean out what's left of my stuff...the stuff that wasn't quite important enough to bring with me during and after college. But at the same time, I kind of like coming back here and poking through it all every now and then. Seeing my old artwork from high school and stacks of old magazines I can't bear to give away because it was those pages that encouraged me to pursue my crazy dreams reminds me of my current dreams. I was such a dreamer, and as I moved through college...I kind of lost that. I'm a big believer in following your dreams, even if it takes a lifetime to achieve them, and being home surrounded by the things that helped me live that way is nice.

Sunday was mass and a movie. We saw "Heaven is For Real" and man oh man those hormones had me choking back tears just from some of the previews we saw. Then we went to Wal-Mart because there are much nicer ones here than what we have back in College Station and I had a gift card from Christmas burning a hole in my pocket. I had been eyeing some new (to me) makeup and figured this was the perfect opportunity to snatch it up. Well, I guess I'm a lot paler than I think I am because the lightest shade was about 100x too orange for my skin tone. Crossing my fingers I miraculously tan up while I'm driving or something real soon because the texture was da bomb and I usually hatehatehate foundation.

Today was all about doing some quality window shopping. I get so overwhelmed by all of the options when I come here because there's a lone mall in CS that gets about as good as a decent sized Forever 21 and an Auntie Anne's. Believe me, I've tried doing some retail therapy at that mall countless times during college after a bad day at work or a bad breakup and it doesn't even work. Anyways, this is why I love the land of malls and Ikea and Whole Foods and Trader Joes (food stores are important too. Very important) that is DFW.

We hit up Sephora because girlfriend has a birthday this month and I was not about to miss out on my free birthday gift and wouldn't you know, the cashier tried to give me last year's gift! I felt so silly asking if they had any of this year's gift left but I just did not need another mini highlighter or horrible mascara. I also got a new perfume as an early gift because I forever love MK & Ash and have been eyeing their new fragrances for a month now. I got the rollerball size but the full size has some of the sleekest packaging in the perfume world.
{Ow ow!}

Then it was off to this incredible new candy store with THREE different bulk sections. They even had those green tea Kit Kat bars that are so hard to come by in the US! My favorite new thing I tried were Jelly Babies, which apparently are a favorite among the Dr. Who crowd. After devouring my candy, we went to eat at one of my favorite middle Eastern restaurants in the area: Fadi's. My favorites of the day were roasted potatoes, spicy hummus, and baba ganoush.
Finallllly, we rolled into Babies R' Us. Our baby stores in CS are limited to cute but pricey boutiques and approximately 4 aisles at Target. I had heard Buy Buy Baby was a little overwhelming, so I figured we could stick to the this one for my first time. We walked up and down every aisle and I already know I want everyone's opinions on what is actually important for a first child. A bubbling/massaging baby bath tub? That's pretty darn cool, but if our baby hates water they're going to hate water no matter what the tub is like...right?

I'm excited to get back home but had a pretty wonderful Mother's Day weekend with my mom. I still can't believe she put up with my sarcasm and sassiness ever since I could talk but it only shows me if she can do it, I can handle any ridiculous trait (phase?) my future kids go through. Moms rock! Happy belated Mother's Day to all of you moms and moms to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment