Oct 1, 2014

Nesting + October Goals

It's October, aka my favorite month of every year! Today is also one of our cat's birthdays, St. Therese of Lisieux's feast day, and apparently National Kale Day...so we've got a lot to celebrate. I'm only half mourning the still highish temperatures here in Texas because we got a late start to planting a fall garden (see below) so I know the seeds kind of neeeed it to not frost or anything yet but still. Cooler weather please come soon. This pregnant lady is sick of sweating.

Anyways, let's talk about nesting. I was waiting for this stage in my pregnancy to come and when it finally did, it hit me full force.

I had written a bunch of things I wanted to do on different scraps of paper and on notes in my phone, and a few weeks ago I finally added it all together. There was/is a lot. The list ranged from making decorations for Zoe's room, to planting a fall garden, to cleaning the washing machine. As I started delegating tasks to each day via Google Calendar, I felt like a crazy person. I *know* in this last month of pregnancy I need to be relaxing, but I don't even want to anymore. I want to go, go, go! There's so much that I have to do!

Landon has been an absolute saint through this little phase of mine......especially since most of the items on the to-do list are things only he can do at this point in time. He planted plum trees, tore up our front flowerbed, replanted the flowerbed, built two raised garden beds, added hundreds of pounds of soil to aforementioned beds, hung decorations all over the house, moved furniture, etc, etc, etc. Really, I cannot husband brag about him enough right now. I know he thinks I'm crazy and yet he's putting up with it all in the most loving way possible. Zoe, your dad is a catch.
Grow little plants, grow!
Making good use of the box our crib came in ;) How awesome did these turn out?!

One thing I've learned during this process of ticking off my to-dos is that I severely underestimate how much time things will take. It wasn't until I was standing/sitting right next to Landon as he was doing all of these things that I realized they take a lottttt longer when just one person is doing the heavy lifting, digging, and bending. At one point while we/he was replanting the front flowerbed, I brought out a stool to sit on and felt like the bossiest grandma ever, just sitting on the front porch pointing where the plants should go. I don't remember what it was, but a few weeks ago I tried lifting something and finally came to terms with the fact that I just can't do some things anymore. This is coming from the girl who, a few days later, could barely carry a 24 pack of toilet paper through HEB. Pregnancy, man. But I can see the light!

Mind you, all of the little projects I can actually work on by myself are all about half started. I have yet to finish something all the way, which is making me even more anxious. I don't know how time is possibly slipping away so fast, but I just need more of it. I need more of it to get everything done, but I also need more of it so I can relax and embrace these last few weeks of it being just me and just me and my husband. For a procrastinator like myself, nesting has been a wonderful kick in the pants...but it's also time to take it down a notch.

I'm trying to slow it down a little. There's a lot of special events and occasions during October that I want to be fully present in. And who knows; the little one could come early and make my favorite month even better!

To reorient myself away from the to-do list and instead towards what's more important, I wanted to come up with some October Goals that would encourage me to slow it all down:


For prayer time, this includes the usual of reading the daily readings and Blessed Is She devotions, as well as saying a daily rosary and hitting up adoration once a week. For reflection time, I want to give myself time to be still and journal, if I'm up for it.

I want to embrace the season of fall by cooking seasonally, burning my favorite candles, decorating with nature, making some fun crafts, and going for walks...when it gets a little cooler.

I'm a habitual book starter but not finisher, and I want to finish two in particular before Zoe arrives.

Finally, I need to remember to breathe and take time to relax, hopefully by doing some of these things mentioned above.

Happy first day of October! What are your goals for this glorious month?

1 comment:

  1. Nesting is the best - it's simultaneously exhilarating and scary! Good luck finishing all your projects. Your flower beds look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete