Mar 18, 2014

When Things Don't Go As Planned, Pt. 2

This is a continuation of yesterday's post. Be sure to check that one out first before reading on!

At first it seemed like a daycare job would be great--as the only child, my childcare experience was limited to a few babysitting gigs and I wanted to have children sometime soon so this would be a great experience--but I soon realized I didn't have the patience and gracious mindset for the job. I truly enjoyed taking care of the babies and loved my coworkers, but it took about a month to realize childcare was just not my calling (at least when it came to other people's kids; we still very much intend of having our own!). I came home exhausted and sick every single day for 4 months, and was even sick for my wedding! Noooo! The worst thing was that I couldn't help but listen to that awful voice in the back of my mind reminding me that I went to COLLEGE for this? I say this voice was awful because I know very well it doesn't matter whether you finish high school or get a PhD at the end of the day if you are doing something you love. But clearly this was something I could not learn to love no matter how many prayers I said. 

Anyways, I left that job right before Christmas and decided to take a few weeks off to decompress. When I started looking for a job again, all seemed hopeless. It was a struggle to find a job I could actually see myself enjoying, and the ones that sounded great required so much more experience and education than I had. Going back to school is something I'd love to do, but I kind of need to supplement our current income in order to do that. 

So 2014 didn't start off as wonderful as I had hoped in the career department. I was so frustrated with God for not just giving me what I wanted (hah!) and just felt so bad for myself. Daily pity parties became the norm. I had always been a dreamer and go-getter and now here I was, stuck in our apartment every day kind of looking for a job, but more so just feeling sorry for myself because we were stuck here in a college town instead of a big city like I had planned before meeting my husband. 

It's pretty darn difficult when it seems like THE WORLD has it all figured out and you don't. But I think this situation (personally) boils down to my intense stubbornness. I had a plan and that plan was shot down. I kept holding on to it thinking it would somehow magically come into fruition if I just kept waiting and being annoyed. As much as I hated to admit it to my friends when I was younger, I really did always get my way. And as I got older and went through college, I made sure I continued to get my way. Now I'm not saying this is a bad thing necessarily if you are trying to achieve your dreams. But if say you meet a man who you know you are meant to marry, it stops being all about you. When you begin to build a family and that becomes your priority, there's a lot more to take into consideration than your own desires.

I think I'm learning how to make the most of what I am given. I've learned to take things on a more day-by-day basis. I have long-term dreams and I know I can achieve them one day; I just don't think the day is in the near future...and I'm finally becoming okay with that.


{print from this etsy shop}

Through lots of prayer and reflection, I'm getting better. I know I'm not the only person out there who feels this way. I'm still on the hunt for something. I thought I would love not having a job but it just makes me feel lazy and like I'm not contributing to society. It's hard stuff. 

However, if you make a point to notice the light at the end of the tunnel, you'll get through it. I know you'll get through it because I know I'll get through it. Positivity and perseverance are useful tools that shouldn't be undermined. As mentioned yesterday, I firmly believe that there is a great plan that was designed for each and every one of us. We might never completely know it, but I take great comfort in knowing I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be.

There are a few tips that I've gathered and tried that have helped me get through this time in my life. If you're in a similar position, maybe they'll help you, too!

1. Start your day off right. For me that means setting an alarm as usual and either praying or working out first thing. Keeping a healthy morning ritual while you're unemployed is important for starting your day off in a positive way.

2. Get dressed. I don't always do this, but I do feel about a million times better when I decide to put on some makeup and a cute outfit, even if the outfit consists of leggings ;) You stay in your pjs with no makeup = you'll be taking a nap when you aren't even tired.

3. Keep learning. I learned about Coursera back in January; it's a great website where you can take free online classes! They might not be for credit, but they'll keep your mind working and you can learn about subjects that might actually be handy for future jobs. Maybe you could even sign up for one class at a community college, or read some entrepreneurial-type books.

4. Volunteer. It's taken me three months to actually do this, but I'll start volunteering at a hospital in town pretty soon and I can't wait. Not only does volunteering get you out of the house and doing something great for your community, but you might meet a new friend or contact in the process! My husband and I also help out regularly at our church which is another way to give back that we truly enjoy.

5. Stay true to yourself. This is obviously a whole heck of a lot easier said than done, but if you can afford to be patient and find a job that you know you'll enjoy, wait it out. I'll regularly come across a job that I'd be ok with, but I know I wouldn't love it and I would just be itching to move on after a few months. You're being called to something great and if you just wait and try to listen to what it is, you'll be better off in the long run. If you are a crafter, try selling some of your goods on the side! You never know--a "hobby" could turn into your full-time job if it's what you're most passionate about.

If you or someone you know is struggling to find their place in the world, know that I'm thinking of you and praying for you. We'll get through this together! And if you have any other tips for getting through a rough patch, please leave them below!

2 comments:

  1. This is lovely!!! I have certainly been there, and, more often than not ponder my career path.

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Yes, this is just part of life it seems!

      Delete