Feb 26, 2014

What I Ate Wednesday #1

Ahh, another reoccurring post I love to read on other people's blogs. It's so fun to see what types of food people gravitate towards and what their favorite recipes are. For Day 3 of Jen's 7 Posts in 7 Days Challenge, I present you some iPhone shots of my meals from today!


Breakfast had to be a quickie because I was too busy watching last night's Pretty Little Liars/getting ready to run out the door to get my hair trimmed. 

{Sidenote: My hair appointment was at a cosmetology school in town. I figured for just a trim, and the super nice price, what could go wrong? Well, it went great and I was so impressed with how professional my hairdresser was!}

2 fried eggs topped with a ton of hot sauce, coffee with half and half, and 1/2 an avocado with lots of salt. I never realized how awesome the smell of frying things in butter was before this detox. It's HEAVENLY. 


After my appointment, I came home and decided to make coconut butter! I've only found it sold one place in town...but only in those small single serving packets for like, $1.50 each. No thanks! I loaded up a bag's worth of unsweetened coconut (along with some coconut oil, vanilla, and sea salt) into our food processor and let it do its thing for over 10 minutes, scraping down the sides as necessary. Lo and behold--beautiful, delicious, and inexpensive coconut butter was formed! I could eat this stuff by the batch.


My mid-morning snack was a small bowl of grain-free lemon poppyseed "banola" (granola made with nuts and a mashed banana essentially) with almond milk. I honestly wasn't a huge fan of unsweetened granola, but I am excited to make sweetened granola again after this detox. I forgot how easy it was to make!


Lunch was a small cup of spinach garlic soup (recipe from the 21DSD Book) and a bowl of butternut squash "risotto" topped with cheese. For some reason, I just couldn't get into this butternut squash recipe. I usually love anything a butternut squash graces its presence with, but this...eh. Maybe I missed something???

Then it was time to run out the door again, this time with a kitten in tow. Since we have indoor cats...we're a little lax about taking them to the vet after they have all their initial shots. But after getting one of those reminder postcards and seeing 5 things one of them needed to be updated with, it was time to get her in to see her cat doctor! It was a slightly traumatic experience, but we both made it through. 


I guess today turned out to be a lot of food prep? Making herbed almond "cheese" here, again from the 21DSD Book. Look at that mess! Only a small portion of the total kitchen mess I made today. Thank goodness for kind husbands who do the dishes.


For my afternoon snack, I had some baby baby carrots (yes, they're smaller than normal baby carrots) and some of that "cheese". Pretty good! I then ran out the door to meet with my super sweet spiritual director. After that, I was lucky enough to make it to part of Liturgy of the Hours before fighting traffic to come home and cook dinner!


I prepped this cucumber noodle salad with sesame/lime sauce while the husband peeled and prepared the shellfish: coconut lime shrimp. I'll give any recipe with 3 tablespoons of curry powder a try, and we were not disappointed. Very good!


I tried this "single lady" apple pie for a post-dinner treat and it was the bomb. Will be making this again on the detox fo sho. 

What recipe are y'all loving at the moment? I love gathering a collection of ones to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment